Your plan includes bike workouts that are designed to improve your functional threshold power, aerobic, anaerobic and muscular endurance, as well as speed skills.
To do this we use 5 Training Zones to structure the workouts. This enables you to train according to your ability and the purpose of each session. In the first week of your plan, you will see a key bike fitness test to determine your thresholds and training zones.
Exporting Workouts to Your App or Device using Power:
You can export your bike workouts to your compatible App or Device and follow power-based intensity zones as you ride. To do this your power threshold and training zones in your TrainingPeaks settings have to be correct:
- Your 5 training zones are calculated as a % of your threshold power.
- You will need to use our online bike power calculator for these to be correct.
- How to Add your Functional Threshold Power and 5 Training Zones to your TrainingPeaks settings.
- Here are instructions for how to set up two popular Apps:
Following Workouts using bike Threshold Heart Rate (bike THR) or Rate of Perceived Exertion (RPE):
If you don't have a power meter then using your bike THR and/or RPE can work well instead.
When following bike THR or RPE then you will need to check Phil's hand-typed description before you commence your ride. You cannot export and follow the workouts using these measures.
However, it is still important for you to have your training zones set up correctly in TrainingPeaks. This will help you analyse your data post-workout.
- Enter your bike Threshold Heart Rate in your TrainingPeaks settings.
- Your 5 training zones are a specific % of your bike Threshold Heart Rate and need to be calculated using our online bike threshold heart rate calculator.
- Add your bike Threshold HR and 5 Training Zones to your TrainingPeaks settings.
Garmin Connect Settings
When you follow workouts using heart rate your threshold and training zones on your training device need to match those in your TrainingPeaks settings. This will allow you to check you remain in the correct HR Zone as you ride.
For Garmin go to your Garmin Connect account > device settings > user settings. Set up your Heart Rate Threshold Zones based on your Cycling Threshold Heart Rate (% LT in Connect). Check this article for more on this.
For other devices go to your specific manual for how to do this.
Copyright MyProCoach™ Ltd © January 2020. All rights reserved.