When you choose a MyProCoach triathlon plan, you can also follow one of Phil's FREE Strength and Conditioning plans.
Use the code FreeStrength at checkout to add your chosen plan for FREE to your TrainingPeaks training plan library.
Which Length Plan?
You can select a plan the same length as your triathlon plan and set the start date to be the same. However, you can also take into consideration the following factors.
- The strength plans are progressive, and therefore the longer the plan the easier the starting level.
- If you are new to strength training and have a short duration triathlon plan, choose a longer Strength and Conditioning plan. Allowing you to progress your strength, safely and gradually over time.
- Follow the final 3-4 weeks of your strength plan before your 'A' race. Strength in this phase allows you to focus on your race-specific triathlon training.
- Apply the plan to start on the same day as your triathlon plan (if you are an Unlimited Athlete, we will do that for you).
- Strength sessions start in week two to allow you to feel fresh for your fitness tests in week one.
- Check your Free Guide for full exercise instructions, progressions, alternatives, and videos.
How do I Fit Strength Sessions into my Triathlon Training?
You should feel fresh and ready to do your Key Sessions justice. Check the information below and adjust, as necessary.
Following Your Strength and Conditioning Workouts
- Click on your strength workout to see which exercises you need to do.
- If you are unsure how to perform an exercise, then click the Strength and Conditioning PDF within the workout.
- Search for the exercise and check the instructions, images, and videos.
The PDF has written descriptions for each exercise, which muscles are targeted and why, tips, progressions, and alternatives.
You can adapt and progress sessions gradually according to your training equipment, skill, and experience. And if you are unsure about anything, please email us.
How do I Record My Strength Session?
- Measure HR using your device/HR strap to synchronize your hrTSS to the workout in TrainingPeaks.
- Estimate TSS using the table below and enter the values manually.
Why do Strength and Conditioning?
We have chosen specific strength and flexibility exercises that are key to supporting your swim, bike and run training—designed to increase power, range of movement, coordination, flexibility, agility, strength, and stability and provide you with a robust internal ‘scaffold’ to support all aspects of your training. You will improve your efficiency, which will boost your performance.
Including strength and conditioning to your training regime will help minimize the risks of injury through improved strength, stability and by matching imbalances that can be created by repetitive overuse.
What Equipment do I need?
All exercises (or alternatives) can be performed at home with a mat, dumbbells and/or band. You can also carry out the exercises in the gym using machines and the free weights area.
How will my Strength Plan fit with my Triathlon Plan?
The strength sessions within your plan progress with each phase of training:
- Prep Phase: The goal of this phase is to develop neuromuscular efficiency, stability, and functional strength.
- Base Phase: In the base phase, your strength workouts are structured to build a foundation for power development. The goal is to translate strength training into sport-specific activity.
- Build Phase: During the build phase, your workouts are used to develop power, balance, and neuromuscular control. Form is critical, reduce the intensity if you cannot hold good form.
- Peak Phase: This phase allows you to focus on sport-specific training. This means decreasing the stress of a strength and conditioning training session by reducing intensity and volume.
There are six key flexibility exercises included. Include these stretches post-training as well as the dedicated time described within the strength and conditioning session. Select stretches that are specific to your needs; the ones described within this document are a guide. You may have some favorites that work well for you.
Copyright MyProCoach™ Ltd © May 2018. All rights reserved.