Your plan includes run workouts that are designed to improve aerobic, anaerobic and muscular endurance as well as speed skills.
To do this we use 5 Training Zones to structure the workouts. This enables you to train according to your ability and the purpose of each session. In the first week of your plan, you will see a key run fitness test to determine your thresholds and training zones.
Exporting Workouts to Your Garmin using Pace:
The run workouts are structured so that you can export them to your Garmin device and follow pace instructions as you train. To do this your pace and training zones in your TrainingPeaks settings have to be correct:
- Your 5 training zones are a percentage % of your Threshold Run Pace.
- You will need to use our online run pace calculator, for your settings to be correct.
- How to Add your Run Threshold Pace and 5 Training Zones to your TrainingPeaks settings.
For the best results use pace to follow speed, tempo and interval workouts.
Following Workouts using run Threshold Heart Rate (rTHR) or Rate of Perceived Exertion (RPE):
For steady-state Zone 1 or 2 workouts, your pace will depend on several factors, such as terrain, elevation and conditions. So for these, don't be too worried about sticking to a set pace. Using your run Threshold Heart Rate (rTHR) or Rate of Perceived Exertion (RPE) can work well instead.
When following rTHR or RPE then you will need to read Phil's hand-typed description before you set out on your run. You cannot export and follow the workouts using these measures.
You do still need to set up your training zones correctly in TrainingPeaks. This will help you analyse your data post-workout. You can use the drop-down button next to TSS to switch between hrTSS and rTSS according to the measure you have used.
- Enter your run Threshold Heart Rate in your TrainingPeaks settings.
- Your 5 training zones are a percentage of your Threshold Run Pace and need to be calculated using our online run threshold heart rate calculator.
- How to Add your run Threshold HR and 5 Training Zones to your TrainingPeaks settings.
Garmin Connect Settings
When you follow steady-state runs using heart rate your threshold and training zones on your training device need to match those in your TrainingPeaks settings. This will allow you to check you remain in the correct HR Zone as you run.
For other devices go to your specific manual for how to do this.
Copyright MyProCoach™ Ltd © January 2020. All rights reserved.