Click Through 6 Simple Steps to Choosing Your Plan:
Or read more about the steps below:
Step 1: Decide upon your "A" race
‘A’ races are the events that you’re most highly motivated for - the ones you at which you want to succeed. These are the focus of your training and preparation, and you should aim to peak for your 'A' Race. Before these races, you should do a few race simulations and practice events.
Step 2: Calculate Length of Plan
For your best outcome count back from your "A" target race date and choose a plan to fill that gap. Your training plan will take you right up to race day. A strong base foundation will enable you to maximise your peak performance (the wider the base, the higher the peak). Phil's plans are Periodised to gradually ramp up your endurance, fitness, speed and skills.
The longer the plan the easier it starts and the more gradually it progresses. This has a bearing on the difficulty level you choose. For example, a 12-week plan starts off at a higher level than a 36-week plan because with 12 weeks left there's not as much opportunity to build up slowly. So if you're choosing a short plan, err on the side of caution when picking the difficulty level.
Step 3: Choose Standard or Masters (40+)
Choosing to train intelligently and specifically for your own needs is the first step to maximising your potential. Training consistently without missing workouts due to injury, fatigue or time limitations will give you a big advantage on the start line.
Step 4: Select Your Level
- May have a sports or fitness background, but not necessarily in your chosen sport.
- Wants structured training to prepare for a first race.
- Could be returning to racing after some time out.
- Wants to get fit with minimal weekly training hours.
- Stepping up a distance for the first time.
- Goal to finish.
- Training regularly and whilst not a newbie, also not superfast.
- Wants to maximise potential whilst balancing life and training.
- Has some experience of racing and learnt some lessons along the way.
- May be experienced and stepping up a distance, out of comfort zone.
- Expects to be a mid-pack finisher.
- Experienced (but amateur) at the race distance and looking to maximise potential.
- Could be looking to qualify for a championship.
- Will have pre-requisite time and fitness to train.
- Competitive and often ranks well.
- Choose a plan that is appropriate with your starting fitness, training time availability and your goals.
- Beginner plans take less time each week, followed by the Intermediate plans and then the Advanced plans which take the most time.
- Phil's plans are designed for amateur athletes, if you have a busy work/family schedule then choose a Beginner or Intermediate level plan regardless of your ability.
- Only choose an Advanced plan if you have at least 18 months of experience. An Advanced plan won't turn you into an advanced athlete if the plan is too hard for you from the start. You'd be better off with an Intermediate plan and nailing every session.
Step 5: Preview your Plan
When you are choosing your training plan you can preview each plan. In the description, there are screenshots of an early week and one of the later hardest weeks. Have a careful look at these and ask yourself:
- Can you fit the training into your schedule?
- Do you have the starting fitness required?
You'll improve quickest by having the right training plan for your availability and current fitness.
Step 6: Select Your Plan
If you choose to train with us, there are two ways for you to manage your training.
1. Purchase your Training Plan via the TrainingPeaks store
- The plan is stored in your own TP library for you to use multiple times; updates included free
- If your plan feels too easy/hard after purchasing, we will swap the level for free within 14 days of purchase
- Coach support during your first use of your plan
2. Become a MyProCoach UNLIMITED Athlete (subscription)
- Our coaches recommend and apply your plan to your TrainingPeaks calendar
- You can request to change your plan whenever needed
- Ongoing email coach support including:
- Setting up your training zones in TrainingPeaks
- Routine compliance checks to help you stay on track (if you are training regularly, we leave you alone)
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Copyright MyProCoach™ Ltd © May 2018. All rights reserved.