Workout Builder structured workouts enable you to export your workouts to your training devices.
Bike workouts are structured using a % of your Functional Threshold Power.
To export your workout using Heart Rate, you will need to have a TrainingPeaks Premium Account and make the following changes from your TrainingPeaks Calendar on your PC (rather than phone).
- Click on the workout, and the blue graph area to open the workout structure in detail
- Change the Units at the top of the page to % Threshold Heart Rate
- Update the Zones in the 'Workouts Detail Editor' to be the same as those in the description.
- Click Save and Close - you can now export the workout to follow using Heart Rate
- If description states Zone 1-2: Choose one or the other and remember to work at the top or bottom end of the exported range
- For 'Upper' or 'Lower' Zones: Choose the Zone (i.e. Zone 2) and work at the top or bottom of the range as per the description
You can also still train effectively by using the Workout Description and your training zones based on heart rate or RPE.
It is actually very hard to follow structured interval workouts on your watch based on heart rate alone. This is because the heart can take several minutes to fully reflect how hard you’re riding.
For example, your power output might go from 200 to 400 watts in one second. But your heart rate would not reflect this doubling unless you sustained that 400 watts for at least 30 seconds (probably more).
Heart rate monitoring is great for steady-state rides. For the shorter interval sessions, it is better to go by RPE (or ideally power) and then use heart rate as a backup measure of intensity.
Copyright MyProCoach™ Ltd © May 2018. All rights reserved.
Please sign in to leave a comment.